AM2R - Boss Keys style maps

• Being inspired by Gamemaker's Toolkit's first season of its mini-series Boss Keys, which is a series that looks into the design philosophies of Zelda dungeons in terms of layout, I decided to do something similarly for the Metroid series. This idea was fueled by things like item randomizer algorithms and 100%-speedruns, because I wanted to find a way to chart out the areas of Metroid in an attempt to facilitate pathing and maybe even help Metroid fangame makers to think about design and gating in their games.

AM2R, the infamous Metroid fangame that made Nintendo go DMCA-crazy. A lot of praise to the game is centered on it being a very close recreation of the original in terms of layout and design, but adding of course some new and modern features and upgrades. Let's see just how similar the two charts are in terms of progression.

For the sake of simplicity, I'm only regarding the vanilla layout of items as of v.1.4.1 (for now, will update to latest), but also mixing in the one major blockage from New Game+ Mode: the total number of Metroids needed get past the open area of the game.

• Main Tunnel, Research Site, Mining Facility

• Area 1 - Golden Temple

• Area 2 - Hydro Station

• Area 3 - Industrial Complex

• Area 4 - The Tower and Power Plant

As linear as the path inside the structure is, you can easily explore the majority of the area using the Space Jump. As such, there are plenty of small paths that branch off of this large "room" around the Tower, plus a few longer paths inside and underneath. Lots of potential for an open design here!

• Area 5 - Distribution Center

I didn't add every single Power Orb puzzle, because a lot of them are in a row, and they wouldn't be randomized anyway. Still, I like this system. Makes things feel more like a Zelda dungeon.

• GFS Thoth

I miss that text blurb. I think it added to the tension, like, "maybe there's a survivor?"

• The Nest, Genetics Laboratory

• Here's a condensed version of the above charts, showing what the whole of SR388 looks like in terms of item dependencies:

Summary of item dependencies and Metroid encounters

Looks like your connection to MetroidHQ was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.