Boss Keys style maps

• Being inspired by Gamemaker's Toolkit's first season of its mini-series Boss Keys, which is a series that looks into the design philosophies of Zelda dungeons in terms of layout, I decided to do something similarly for the Metroid series. This idea was fueled by things like item randomizer algorithms and 100%-speedruns, because I wanted to find a way to chart out the areas of Metroid in an attempt to facilitate pathing and maybe even help Metroid fangame makers to think about design and gating in their games.

I'll start with NEStroid.

• Brinstar

Past version, for reference: [1]

• Norfair

• Kraid's Lair

Note: it is assumed that by this point, you will already have the Morph Ball, Missiles, and Bombs, based on the prerequisite items needed to access this region from Brinstar. As such, the locks requiring Morph Ball and Bombs have been removed.

• Ridley's Hideout

Note: it is assumed that by this point, you will already have the Morph Ball, Missiles, and Bombs, based on the prerequisite items needed to access this region from Brinstar and Norfair. As such, the locks requiring Morph Ball and Bombs have been removed.

• Right on, excellent work man!
    I'm hoping against hope that the next season he keeps hinting at will be Metroid.

• @sidiouth I do know that he's played through Echoes for some Boss Keys research, and has noted that he likes how each region is like its own "dungeon". And surprise surprise, his primary complaint was how it was strange that he had to leave a region sometimes to go get an upgrade in some other area before coming back and finishing the dungeon.

• Tourian

• Just updated the maps somewhat. Let me know if this works better / is cleaner.

Looks like your connection to MetroidHQ was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.