Boss Keys style maps

• Being inspired by Gamemaker's Toolkit's first season of its mini-series Boss Keys, which is a series that looks into the design philosophies of Zelda dungeons in terms of layout, I decided to do something similarly for the Metroid series. This idea was fueled by things like item randomizer algorithms and 100%-speedruns, because I wanted to find a way to chart out the areas of Metroid in an attempt to facilitate pathing and maybe even help Metroid fangame makers to think about design and gating in their games.

I'll start with NEStroid.

• Brinstar

• Nordfair

That's a lotta missiles! And most of them only need Bombs to access them!

• Kraid's Lair

Note: it is assumed that by this point, you will already have the Morph Ball, Missiles, and Bombs, based on the prerequisite items needed to access this region from Brinstar. As such, many of the locks requiring Morph Ball and Bombs have been removed.

• Ridley's Hideout

Note: it is assumed that by this point, you will already have the Morph Ball, Missiles, and Bombs, based on the prerequisite items needed to access this region from Brinstar and Norfair. As such, many of the locks requiring Morph Ball and Bombs have been removed.

• Right on, excellent work man!
    I'm hoping against hope that the next season he keeps hinting at will be Metroid.

• @sidiouth I do know that he's played through Echoes for some Boss Keys research, and has noted that he likes how each region is like its own "dungeon". And surprise surprise, his primary complaint was how it was strange that he had to leave a region sometimes to go get an upgrade in some other area before coming back and finishing the dungeon.

• Tourian

• This post is deleted!

• Here's a condensed version of the above charts, showing what the whole of Zebes looks like in terms of item dependencies:

Summarized dependency chart

So in short, only three upgrades are needed to beat the game: the Morph Ball, the Missiles, and the Bombs. The High Jump Boots are only needed to get to optional upgrades, and the Ice Beam isn't needed, but it does make Tourian manageable. Everything else is optional, or simply improves survivability.

Looks like your connection to MetroidHQ was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.