Pixeltroid

• The name is tentative, don't mind it.

This is a project I've been working on for ~3 months. It started out as an example to prove a point that one can make a Metroid engine in Gamemaker, and as a learning exercise for Gamemaker Studio 2.

Premise
    Remember Minitroid? Well, I do. And I though it was a shame to see it die. I've decided to try and create at least one area (possibly more) just for the hell of it somewhat inspired by Minitroid. Run through Brinstar as a tiny Samus Aran, collecting upgrades and traversing this strange alien planet.

Screenshots
    Here's the updated title screen:
    alt text

Another surprise, the options menu works! All of these are fully functional.
    alt text

And a working file select! You can copy and delete your files. They also store playtime.
    alt text

Let's get into the game, shall we? Thanks to a handy palette swap shader written by Pixelated Pope, All three of Samus's suits have been implemented. The only one that still needs work is Gravity, as there's currently no code behind it.

alt text

Pause menu is pause menu. Everything works here too.

alt text

People who helped
    Hackmi - Sending me the Minimus sprites
    Miepee - Title screen drawing
    Tokinsom - Minimus sprites and allowing me to use them
    Shaun Spalding - Platformer Engine
    Chris Broadus - Item Fanfare
    @Miles07 - Item sprites
    @AmwolfMusic - Clipping the development streams I've done
    @Grayson - Making me the Geemer sprite
    Loeder - Temporary Music?(Green Brinstar, even though the demo only has orange Brinstar.)

If you've got any questions whatsoever, ask away. I'm hoping I can share a small trailer sometime soon, and in the future, a demo.

Demo
    Edit: I've made a tiny demo, mostly for the purpose of getting feedback on the game's controls and physics. You can download it here.
    Edit 2: The demo is still fully functional, but DOES NOT represent the final game, and more so, where it's advanced in two months.
    Edit 3: New demo!

Thanks for reading!

• I helped with taking those clips....

We are Not One, We are Samus.

It doesn't matter though lol

• @amwolfmusic said in Retroid:

I helped with taking those clips....

Wait, I don't follow. What clips?

• @metroid3d The clips from twitch, but we were drunk so we went home

Nah, they were from Twitch the one time I actually clipped stuff in your stream. If you go to your channel and press clips, you'll see the clips.

• Nice. However, if you use the autoad me and betatronic made, be sure to put that in the credits. Also, rip gms1.

• Aww man Minitroid. I still have it installed. It's tough, but it is still available online.

• Don't forget to credit me for making the Zoomer/Geemer sprite for ya.
    I put time into them, even though it didn't actually take me that long to make it for ya.

• @grayson Holy crud, I'm so sorry. I've fixed the post.

• Wow, I'm better than everyone, credit me for annoyances, credit me for the fact humans exist
    Credits are always hard to get right. For me especially i just want to spam my self entitled name all over it as i have no idea who made moat(grammar master) of the art, who to credit for "inspiration".

• @hackmi "Special thanks" sections are good for that, and make sure you know where your stuff comes from. You don't want to use anything you don't have permission to use.

• Update: I've made a tiny demo, mostly for the purpose of getting feedback on the game's controls etc. You can download it here. Music is from here, but it's only temporary.

• @metroid3d Annnnd archived. Pretty good so far, only thing I can suggest is changing the sound on spin jumping. Got old very fast. But it's any early demo, you'll work it out.

• @sidiouth said in Retroid:

@metroid3d Annnnd archived. Pretty good so far, only thing I can suggest is changing the sound on spin jumping. Got old very fast. But it's any early demo, you'll work it out.

Noted, will fix in the next revision.

• @metroid3d Also a readme with the default bindings would be appreciated.

• @sidiouth Noted.
    ICYMI:
    Z - Jump
    X - Shoot
    Arrow Keys - Move
    H - Resize window
    Enter - Pause

• Ahhh, no wonder my layout for Minitroid wasn't compatible. I'll make a new one then.

• @sidiouth you can set the controls to whatever, there's a custom control screen at the start remember.

• @Metroid3D I do, but it behaves weirdly. Like jump and shoot are bound to the same key when they're not.

• I know it's been ages since I've posted here, but I've got a pretty huge progress update.
    For one, I've changed the name of the game to "Pixeltroid", because a Super Metroid romhack was already called Retroid.

Here's the updated title screen:
    alt text

Another surprise, the options menu works! All of these are fully functional.
    alt text

And a working file select! You can copy and delete your files. They also store playtime.
    alt text

Let's get into the game, shall we? Thanks to a handy palette swap shader written by Pixelated Pope, All three of Samus's suits have been implemented. The only one that still needs work is Gravity, as there's currently no code behind it.

alt text

Pause menu is pause menu. Everything works here too.

alt text

You may have also noticed that Brinstar's tiles have been updated. That's it for now, but I'm gonna try and post more here.

• @metroid3d Heck yeah! Keep at it! No download this time?

Looks like your connection to MetroidHQ was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.