Rank the Core Metroid Titles!

• Global Moderator

I'm curious to know everyone's opinions on how they order the main Metroid games. For reminders, the list is:

Metroid
    Metroid II
    Super Metroid
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Zero Mission
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
    Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Metroid Other M
    Metroid Prime Federation Force

Feel free to list reasoning for why you may have ranked one title over another, that way all who read have some context and insight into your thought process.

Please keep in mind that everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I will not tolerate any person, community veteran or not, who disrespects the opinions of others.

• @fatherbrain230

Fusion
    Other M
    Prime 3
    Zero Mission
    Metroid
    Prime 2
    Federation Force
    Metroid 2
    Prime
    Pinball
    Super
    Hunters

I'm pretty sure that's all of them... 🤔🤔🤔🤔

• administrators

Metroid Prime: Federation Force
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

• My personal list, best to worst:

Super Metroid/AM2R(Shut up, it counts) Apparently not, see below.
    Metroid: Zero Mission
    Metroid: Fusion
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Metroid: Other M
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Metroid Prime: Federation Force
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Metroid
    Metroid II

• 2D Titles,
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Zero Mission
    AM2R
    Super Metroid
    Metroid
    Metroid II
    3D Titles,
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 3
    Metroid Prime 2
    Federation Force
    Metroid Prime: Hunters
    Metroid Other M

• Super
    ZM
    Prime 1
    Prime 3 (Haven't played much to be honest)
    Prime 2
    Fusion
    Hunters
    NESTroid
    M2

--Haven't played list--
    Other M
    Fed Force

• Global Moderator

@metroid3d are you saying Super and AM2R are the same rank?

PS. AM2R is not a core title, sorry. I love AM2R personally, but it does not qualify.

• @fatherbrain230 I am, yeah. I think that what it looses in being linear, AM2R makes up for with fantastic presentation, eargasmic music, and the tightest controls in the series.

• This is a very hard ranking to do honestly. Each game has something that makes it better than the others in its own right. For me I have "ties" because some of them are so close that it's literally a toss up or changes between those specific titles on any given day.

My ranking: from best to worst (I will not include games I have no played)

1. Metroid Prime 1/Super Metroid
    2. Metroid Zero Mission/ Metroid Fusion
    3. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
    4. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
    5. Metroid (NES)
    6. Metroid 2
    7. Metroid Other M

My reasoning: Metroid Prime 1 was my first Metroid game. It got me interested in the series and made me want to learn more about everything. Before this point I had no idea what a Metroid was or what Space Pirates were. As for Super, well, that game was so much fun and it was a total blast to play! I remember just loving every aspect of the world and how it played and I began to master the mechanics little by little and now I'm a wall jumping pro lol. As for MZM and Fusion, well Fusion was my first 2D Metroid and I loved every second of the game. With MZM I played that one and was hooked on the fact it was a retelling of the first game but with so much more to it. It made it fun and exciting and new and much faster paced. As for Prime 3, I really enjoyed it. The heavier plot, the fact that Dark Samus was taking over the Pirate organization and even Ridley sided with her, was just amazing to me. As for Prime 2, I know so many people love that game but I felt it was a little too convoluted at times. The back tracking was harder than it had to be and for playing it on the GCN back in the day, it felt more like a chore than fun. Don't get me wrong it had some great moments though. Then we have NES Metroid, now that game, was insanely hard the first time I played it. I even used a walk through and got stuck (that part in Norfair that EVERYONE gets stuck on their first time). I eventually figured it out, started using maps (on every play-through now honestly) and beat it a few times. I have a very healthy respect for the game. Metroid 2 wasn't as bad as so many people say. It's not the best but it definitely has its moments where it shines. I actually really have enjoyed playing it (still not beat it though). And that brings me to Other M. With Other M, I feel like it was a great idea that was executed poorly. The controls weren't very good using the Wii Remote and should have relied on the nunchuck for movement. As for the story, it's good and bad. It has moments where it does shine but it has moments that fall very flat for me. Over all, I appreciate what it was trying to do but I still feel it failed to meet the expectations placed on it. Was it a "bad game"? No. Was it a "good game"? No. It was in this weird middle ground of mediocrity that really feels unfitting for a Metroid title. Anyway those are just my thoughts.

Note: Trilogy versions of the Prime games are better for me personally BUT there are features from the originals that I very much so miss.

• Metroid II - This one is odd for me because I rate it based on story and atmosphere rather than gameplay and mechanics. This was the title where the big event happens, we annihilate the organism the series was named after. We see them in their world and witness them metamorphosis.

Metroid Prime- Loved the vivid environments and it had a colorful selection of bosses, the game is a literal translation of a classic Metroid game into a 3D world.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption- The Prime formula that introduces life beyond xenoforms and Samus herself that broadens the scope of the Metroid world. It took concepts from all existing Prime games and morphed them into one.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes- Enjoyed the light and dark concept, and the game produced my favorite suit in the series, the Light Suit. Had some cool bosses but towards the end the game really mellows out for me. I think I like this game more conceptually than I do playing it at times as it can feel like a chore now and again, but it's still good. Multiplayer was a blast for its time.

Metroid Prime Hunters- Yet another Prime game making the top of my charts, regardless of its redundant bosses I truly enjoyed traversing the various planets and fighting other bounty hunters (the bounty hunters themselves all being wicked cool in their own rights). The multiplayer was a great experience and one that I wish would be replicated in the future.

Super Metroid- I never played this game until about two years ago truthfully speaking. I don't know if I missed out on the nostalgia but I found this game to be okay. Not bad, but not at all amazing as everybody around me hyped it up to be. Traversing Zebes again was fun and I enjoyed the maps overall. The final battle and the Hyper Beam was awesome.

Metroid: Zero Mission- I'm not particularly fond of the NES Metroid to begin with, but this game did it some solid justice. The remixed soundtracks were great and the overall redesign was done well. I didn't enjoy the Zero Suit segments that much but moving past those and going back to the world to explore what you may have missed was a lot of fun.

Metroid Fusion- I have a soft spot for this game, seeing as it was my first true Metroid experience, however upon replays I find that the incessant dialogue between sectors is mildly annoying (especially when you know the game so well) and find myself wishing there were a skip option. The X were a nice spin on the series and the Fusion suit was truly unique, but the anticlimactic ending and constant hand holding marks this game lower on my list.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force- I am always an advocate for a good spin off game, and one with a group of four Federation soldiers sounded perfect, and then the game was shown to the world. I absolutely hate this games art direction. I loathe the chibiness. The maps are pretty barren and the missions don't take much effort to complete, but the game did have a nice variety of skins and Blast Ball was a kind of bonus. With friends this is a great game to play and it does ensure a fun time is had, but Hunters and even MP2 come to mind as a fun multiplayer game before this does for me. Ultimately this was a missed opportunity and a let down.

Metroid: Other M- I don't hate Other M. I don't love Other M. It played okay, visually it was alright, the cinematics however are very hit and miss. Other M is the game that I was okay playing through once and 100%'ing, and then afterward found abysmally boring. This is the Batman Forever of the franchise and while I won't ever dismiss the game and the tale it tells, compared to others in its series it is garbage.

Metroid Prime: Pinball- It's pinball. I have to be in the mood for it.

Metroid-Nope. I hate this game. Areas that look the same, an unforgiving replenish system, no real coherent way of knowing where it is you are supposed to be going without memorization, I am amazed and thankful this series had sequels after this game. I get that it's an NES title, but I'll play a good NES game like Star Tropics or Super Mario Bros. over this any day. It had a soundtrack. There. There's some included positivity.

• I haven't played the 3D ones yet!
    Also, do fan games count? NVM
    Super Metroid
    I love this game, it's probably the best game in existence after MSR388.
    Fusion
    I didn't like ZM...not much at all.
    ZeroMission
    It's decent, but I thought it was too cartoonish, and kinda just a worse SM.
    Metroid 2
    This game is amazing, it managed to convey a real sense of fear in black and white and on the GB!
    Metroid One
    It's pretty bad.

Looks like your connection to MetroidHQ was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.